Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wow what a Night!

So last night was crazy for me! :)

Alicia is working really hard to sell some baby stuff that we no longer need, so long hours in the evenings tagging things, putting things on hangers, etc has given me the opportunity to spend some time with the girls which has been a lot of fun. Ruby is probably the smartest 2 year old I have ever met. They watched Baby Einstein last night and she not only repeated everything she heard, but she pronounced everything exactly the way it should sound every time! She amazes me!

Anyway, that was not the crazy part. In fact, Ruby didn't even wake up last night until about 8:30pm from her nap, so she ended up going with Alicia to get things packed to set up this morning and they were out until almost 1am!

So I got to spend a lot of time with Katy and Hannah. We read some books at first and Hannah decided that she wanted to draw pictures so she got this black marker and drew herself on a horse. I was actually pretty impressed at the drawing. She is very imaginative and loves artwork in any fashion. So it is fun to see her develop that talent. Daddy used to draw too, so it is fun to see some of those skills pass on to her!

Anyway, Katy was stirring in the bedroom, so I went and grabbed her and brought her out so that I could change her diaper. I had to get some wipes in the other room so I went to do that and get the diaper ready and let Katy watch Hannah (or maybe the other way around?)

Well I decided to get some dinner started on the way so I made some pasta for the girls and got it on the pot and cooking and came back to get the deed done when lo and behold I had a black baby in the room! Hannah decided that her artwork needed to be transferred to Katy's entire body and face! She even wrote her entire name on her back! How in the world did she have time to do that, much less get Katy to stay still long enough to make that happen? So, needless to say, dinner was just about ready, so I had them eat first. Katy ate a ton of food, and Hannah had her fair share too, so that was good that they ate (since they pick and choose the nights they are going to eat anyway).

I took Katy into the bathroom to get her cleaned up a little and I turned around and Hannah was stark naked! She wanted to get in the bathtub to help clean Katy off (did I sense remorse here on her part?)

So I got them in the bath and turned it on and asked Hannah to watch Katy so I could get her some panties and the diaper for Katy and get jammies so they could get ready for bed at that point (it was around 7:30pm, so before Ruby woke up).

I leave the room for maybe 3-4 minutes and gather all the necessary items and suddenly I hear some tremendous screaming in the bathroom from Katy. I rush in and sure enough, Hannah has completely covered Katy in soap, and Katy has tons of soap in her eyes (I can't even see her face at this point) which are completely shut due to pain! UGH!

So for almost an hour, I tried washing her eyes out and getting her to calm down. She was not a happy camper, and of course Hannah in the meantime decided to use the soap and Alicia's Mary Kay items to decorate the bathroom (I mean, why would she NOT do this?).

Do you think I should just expect these things to happen instead of having them be a complete shock to me?

During all this raucous, Ruby wakes up and wants to eat. So I get her what was left of the noodles and of course she doesn't eat at all, she just really wanted a drink of milk. She began to cry because "mommy" wasn't home and cried until about 9pm, and she got started right after I got Katy calmed down! Anyway, Baby Einstein was a life saver last night. They all calmed down, Ruby did her "repeat everything" thing and sang "Old MacDonald had a farm" and they all were very calm. After that we all read several books and said prayers and off to bed! Ruby of course was not tired, so she came downstairs to spend time with me while I comforted Katy until Alicia got home from her first round of work before taking Ruby out last night.

WOW.

All I can say is I need more practice with 3 at once. Even two can be crazy with how "imaginative" Hannah can be! How does Alicia do this all day? I really wanted to clean up the house last night, but there was no way that was happening!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Welcome to the world of a Stay-at-home mom! You did great surviving! Congrats!

Mary said...

hmmm.... you fed, cleaned and entertained all the babies at once! I'd say you did a mighty fine job! Great going, daddy-o!