That I would be the first one of my friends whose kid broke an arm!! And yes most of you are probably thinking of the right kid......RUBY!!! I guess in a way I am not really suprized at all. She did some funky jump thing on Saturday and messed up her arm. Of course these things happen in the afternoon on a Saturday b/c they can't happen during a normal time. All those mom's who know that's true say Aye.....
So I packed Ruby up in the car after I tried to see if she had just popped her elbow out again. Nope wasn't that at all. She cried and screamed at me for even turning her wrist. I called the doctor to ask them what I needed to do. We really wanted to stay out of the ER since we have a HUGE co-pay. **Side note: Kinda sad that insurance is so expensive that when my kid gets hurt I am trying to find anyway to not take her to the hospital!!** The doctor on call was super nice and tried to do everything she could over the phone, but she came to the conclusion with me that we needed to take her in. So I head down to the road to one of the instacares, since that is way cheaper than the ER but they still have everything you need. Even an X-RAY MACHINE!!!
So we get there and it doesn't take long to get back since there was just one person in front of us to be seen. I tell the doctor about what happened and how I really would love an x-ray done just to make sure. He gives me a spill about how her range of motion looks good and it doesn't bother her as he moves her arms around. Point number 2 is that kids getting x-rays at that young it could cause cancer and all this other mumbo jumbo. He also did a lot of ortho stuff so he knew it was not broken. So off we go after $40!!! with being told to just give her some motrin and if she still isn't moving her arm by the end of the day on Sunday to bring her back and then we can have some x-rays done.
Well yesterday morning Ruby was still in a lot of pain, so I whipped out my sewing machine and made up a sling for Ruby. Yes this is the reason that we were 45 minutes late to church. Making a sling, me needing a shower, and still having to get all the girls ready for church doesn't help in getting there on time. Not to mention but we did get up at 8:15 am. Ruby picked out some cool Hello Kitty fabric that I had in the scrap pile and I went to work!! I hate to sew on Sunday, but that is what needed to be done. A few minues later and wha-la a sling in little kid size for Ruby and off to church we go.
Ruby still was not feeling good today, so I haul her and Katy (who didn't sleep all night long) off with my only healthy child, Hannah. Katy has a double ear infection again. Oh I wish we had the money to get the poor girl tubes, since she needs them so bad, but that brings me back to my earlier comment about not wanting to take my kid to the ER. We just deal with the shot of meds and go back in two days for another shot. It makes her mad, but I would rather do that than 10 days of forcing my kid to take some nasty medicine twice a day.
Back to Ruby....the doctor looks at her arm and it is really tender by her wrist and her elbow. He said that if it is broke by her wrist they can cast it in the office but anything by her elbow we have to see an ortho doc and go up to Primary Children's. We are told to go to the hospital to get some x-rays done. I was glad that Cody was on lunch break, so he came along with me to help with the other girls while we went back. Ruby did good in getting her x-rays, but was in a lot of pain as we took the last set that they needed.
I get lunch for the kids and get back to the doctor's office so Cody could pick up the bug. While I am driving there I am on the phone with the doctor's office, I talk to the nurse to tell her that they have already sent over the results and of course I have to be on hold. As I am pulling into the parking lot, I don't get the nurse I get the doctor on the phone. He asks me where I am at in the SL valley. I told him I was in the parking lot and he promptly told me that I needed to get in there ASAP to stablize my child's arm. He was afraid that there could be permate damage to her arm if we didn't get it stablized soon. Now this is Ruby's left arm that she uses for everything. Eating, writing, throwing, and more. It's kinda scarry to hear a panic in your doctor's voice about this. I guess that my child had broke her arm a little above her elbow and that it is the worst fracture that a child can get. We were told that she will be having an appointment at the fracture clinic with an ortho doc and that lucky me will be going up to visit them a lot in the next little while. Her doctor got her into a spint that will keep everything stable until we can get in to the clinic in the next few days and he loved my sling that I made for Ruby.
**Side note: The doctor wants me to make 15-20 slings for the office and they are going to BUY them from me!!! He wants me to keep making them so that the little kids can have some cool looking slings that actually fit instead of them having to work up something that will work!! That was the sliver lining in my day!!**
So here we go with a broken arm and who would have guessed?!?!? I will be taking lots of pictures soon and get them up. It should be a really fun week for all of us.
PS. Yes I did call the instacare to put in a complaint about the smart doctor that would not take an x-ray of Ruby's arm!!!
4 comments:
Don't you love that!! I could have used a fun sling for Spencer when he broke his arm back in April!!
Ok, only you would get a sewing job from your kid's broken arm! Congrats on that but so sorry about the whole ordeal. However, the whole thing could turn into a great, wonderful blessing. Keep us posted :)
Poor Ruby!!
Did you know that Lori's little girl broke her arm too? At the elbow. She just got her cast off not long ago.
Hope Ruby heals well and quickly. And Katy too! Poor baby!
ill make you one for free. just email me the picture of your family or individuals like i have and i will make something fun for you.
Post a Comment