I feel like I really haven't updated much of anything since I took this job with the Olive Garden. Now don't get me wrong b/c I totally love my job! I just work a lot for really cheap tips and my base pay of $2.13 an hour. Some nights are better than others, but I guess it all works out in the end right?? I am very grateful that I do have this job, since that really came into play with everything that has happened in the last week for our family.
Last Monday Hannah came home from school just not herself. I asked what happened at school and it was the same, but then I heard something from my daughers' mouth that I never thought would come out of it. "Mom, my teacher slapped me today. Right here on this cheek." She promptly showed me which one it was. I literally stopped in the road and asked her to say it again. Yes, she said the same thing and was acting very cowardly and just not herself for the rest of the night and the next day even. Hannah even asked not to go back to school until her teacher Mrs. Bird came back. ** She has had a sub since the first day of school since her teacher was in the hospital and now at a care center, so we never even met her teacher**
YES I did call the Principal of the school and wanted to know what was going on. His version was that Hannah was talking and the teacher "tapped her on the cheek" and asked her to sit in the front of the room. There was no action taken or a suggestion that she could be put in another class. I was still really mad!!
I let things go until the next day. I got done with my shift at work and talked to Steve again about the whole thing. We did send Hannah back for one more day of school and things still had not gotten better for her. She was very quiet and didn't want to see the "Mean teacher". I had a great night at work and the light went off! I can pay for school for Hannah. I had called in the afternoon to Challenger School to see if there were spots left in half-day kinder and there were! So Steve and I made the choice to pull our child out of the public school system and put her back into private school. It sure felt like the right choice. We have had to ask our parents out for a little bit of money to get her started with books and uniforms along with our tuition that we owe, but it has all been coming together great!
I got up early and took Hannah to school at Challenger on Wednesday morning last week! We got her tested and she was a little behind, but things were good! We do have a lot of catching up to do, but it will be worth it in the end. I could see just how much 5 weeks of public school did to my kid! She is very lazy and was not used to doing the work that is expected now. It has literally rocked Hannah's world this last week. There are now spelling tests every week, books to be read, homework every night of english and math, and don't forget those sight words and math flashcards too. We are all very busy and have divided up the homework. I stick to the math and Steve sticks to the english!! We do realize that it will take until around Christmas to have her fully caught up with her class, but she has learned more in the few days that she has attended then she has all of the time she was in her old public school class.
After getting her signed up on Wednesday, I marched myself down to the Public School HR office to put in a complaint. I was very upset about the whole thing by this time and was quickly ushered in to the head of the HR dept and the manager of the subs for the district. I left my report with them telling me that they would get back to me as an investigation would take place. So later in the day, the HR lady called me back with a totally different story of what the principal told me on Monday afternoon. Now the story was.....Hannah was sitting by a boy in class. This boy was playing with a toy when he was not suppsed to. The teacher came and took the toy from the boy and put it away. Hannah got up and got the toy and gave it back to the boy. The teacher then brushed Hannah's cheek with her hand and asked her to go to the front of the class and sit at a desk there. Supposedly the teacher didn't even really remember this at all. The school district has taken action, but would not tell me what. I don't think that anything has happened. The HR lady did wish me well and "hopes that we will try the Alpine School district next year." My children will never step foot into an Alpine School District school ever again!! I don't think so. Not when nothing was done or even an offer of let us see what can be done to make it right.
Then to top my week off Katy was on the trampoline with the girls and she got hurt!! It was her left ankle and it was another trip to the doctor and to get more x-rays!! The x-rays showed that nothing was broke, but she could still not put weight on it on Thursday, so I had to get my Mom to take Katy to the doctor (since I was working!). All the kids were taken care of thanks to Mandee!! She looks out for me and all the kids! I don't know where I would be without her! My whole house is well on its way to being organized b/c of her time and willingness to watch my kids for a few hours while Steve finished work.
Katy is all better now, but it was a few frustrating days for Katy with a splint on her leg from her thigh down to her toes! She walked really funny and even would sit down and just scoot with her leg! Crawling was a little bit of a pain, but she did that to for awhile.
I just need life to calm down a little bit! Between work, school drama, and hurt kids....life needs to calm down. Hopefully the last half of the month will be a little slower for me! I want to get back to fun updates and those silly stories from the kids!!!
2 comments:
I'm glad things are getting better. I wish I was closer...we would have such a good time together! I thought you would like that Palin/Clinton skit! Too funny!
I'm stunned to find out the sub slapped her! and tapping or brushing her cheek as a redirection or punishment is way too close to slapping to be dismissed. Glad you switched schools and advocated for Hannah with the public school!
You are an awesome mom!
Post a Comment