Monday, March 3, 2008

Being Sick and The New House Saga......

So where have I been this last week?? Sick, sick, sick and then the whole house saga that keeps on going. I haven't been to the doctors being sick for as long as I can remember (well other than having babies). I had a fun ordeal of sitting with a headache that felt like the elephant was sitting on my head for an hour in the waiting room. Only then to sit back in a room for another few minutes.

after 3 days with a bad head cold and tons of sinus pressure i finally broke down and went to the doctor. i knew this would be all wrong when i realized i had washed my insurance card. i had called and they said the wait was 45 minutes. i could do that and DH could keep the kids for that long. well she finally got me into the computer and then that wait turned into 45 in the waiting room and THEN ANOTHER 45 min. once you get back in the room!!

So i finally see the doctor (Steve is managing okay with the kids) I tell him 3 different times and the intake nurse 2 times that I am still nursing so I don't want anything that will mess that up. The doctor checks me out. Touches my front sinuses on my forehead and I swear I could pass out from pain and of course he asks "Does that hurt??" So he thinks I have the start of a sinus infection but it isn't there yet. He leaves to go get my scrips ready.

He comes back in with 3 different scripts and one has codeine in it. Which is great but what about Katy. He said that since she is 8 months old that any meds that I take should be okay for her. Just watch her and if she gets really lethargic that i should probably stop nursing her and just pump until I am done with the meds. HELLO!!! my baby doesn't take a bottle. I thought he was off his rocker right then. I leave and take my scripts that I am not so sure of and head to Target.

The pharmacist at target was so nice. They didn't even know what he had given me so they had to look it up. The main med that he wanted me to start would have completely dried up my milk!!! I told that guy that my baby only nurses, no bottles here. So she hooked me up with Musinex-d, tylenol, and Afrin.

Last night was so different and I actually got some sleep. I am just so mad that I told a doctor so many times that my baby still nurses, but would give me a script that would dry up my milk. What would I have done with a teething baby and no milk?!?!?!? So more than 2 hours later, I should have just gone to Target first and not the doctor!!

All while I was sick we had no heat in our house. It went out last Thursday and we didn't get any warmth again until the next Wednesday night. It was a long 6 days for us in our house. The first fix it guy didn't really know what he was talking about and just kept replacing fuses in our heater, but it turned out that it was really the thermostat wiring that needed to be redone. I was so frustrated with the whole process that I just called my own heating guy and sent the home warranty people my bill. That story is so condensed but I don't want to write about it again. I am just glad that it is over and done with. Now we just get to deal with the inspector guy that actually broke our somewhat working furnace, but that is another story for another day.

Houses...why did we want one????

4 comments:

Ginnie said...

I'm so sorry you're so sick. We have all been hit pretty bad up here too! I hope you get feeling better soon!

Angela said...

Yikes! Thank heavens for pharmacists. I'm sorry to hear you were freezing. We ran out of oil when we were living in the east. It is no fun to be freezing cold in you own home.

Mary said...

Hope you feel better soon! I cannot believe that doctor!!! What a crazy guy giving you codeine to pass to Katy! Thats nuts. I am still breastfeeding too, but I'm quitting sometime soon. (I keep saying that) Feel better!!!

Evyn said...

Ugh, the sickness was at our house too.

Props on the breastfeeding, I hope I don't have any issues with it, and good on you for checking with a pharmacist, not enough people do that anymore.

Also, I just wanted to say I love the names you gave your girls, especially Ruby. Its been one of my favorites, it would sound bad with our last name, but I just love it!