Saturday, September 10, 2011

Katy's First Trip to the Operating Room

Well with school starting and us just generally being a busy family the blog has suffered again. I am so sorry for all of you out there in blogger world that have been waiting for an update from my little Smith family.

Here we go with what happened this week for us!
Katy had these huge tonsils that caused super loud snoring at night! I have wanted to get them out for awhile, but haven't been great at convincing anyone. This year was the year that I finally got an okay that they should come out. After a trip to the ENT here in Jacksonville, we got a yes they will be coming out, but after her visit to the cardiologist. Now this was because at her check up appointment the doctor and her medical student heard a heart murmur. Now all of you know that means for my kids a golden ticket, don't pass go, don't collect $500 trip to Birmingham with the cardiologists there. We had our appointment on September 1st and it all went well. I was glad that I could get through that appointment without loosing it! It was a little hard to be sitting with the department that would not do Ben's surgery almost 10 years ago. In the end, all was well with Katy. She has an innocent murmur that will not cause any troubles in her life. Katy did love getting to bring home a picture of her perfect heart.

So we found ourselves at Jacksonville Medical Center on Thursday morning. Katy and I got there at 6 am and Steve would come after he got the girls to school. Katy was generally very happy and was excited to enjoy some great treats after.


She had to get her blood drawn, but was okay when she got bubbles, stickers, bracelets, and loves on from mom! She put those bubbles to good use right away as you can see.

Then it was time to head down stairs. Katy really thought that it was cool!! A ride just for her!!!

Then it was time for her hat and happy meds! This girl is so silly when she got her happy meds! She told the birds while playing Angry Birds "I am coming to save you birdies!!" and told her daddy "You have 2 eyes!!" The little giggle was so cute! Before I knew it, it was time for one last picture and she was off to get some tonsils out!


It was a very long hour wait for my baby to get back into the recovery room. A little too long for me! Come to find out her tonsils were HUGE!! At least as big as silver dollars and her adnoids were just as big if not bigger than those tonsils. No wonder my baby could not sleep at night. I couldn't sleep if I had that much stuff in my throat! The doctor also told me that he put tubes in her ears too. Why? Well he started to clean them out and way too much stuff was in there. More and more wax. When he finally got down to her left ear drum, he noticed that there was a lot of fluid back there. He cut her ear drum and out came as he described it "syrup"! So Katy is a proud new owner of tubes!

I finally heard Katy crying in recovery and back I went. I dropped my bag and crawled into the bed with her. She was so mad from having a very hard time of waking up. It was an awesome thing to sit and hold my baby. I started singing to her the same songs I have sung to her since she was born of Teach Me to Walk in the Light and I am A Child Of God and instantly Katy was quiet. I could not believe how powerful those two little songs are for her. She did still fight a little bit but nothing like before I was in there with her.

We finally all got upstairs and Katy loved this trip back upstairs. She didn't look good after we got her back to her room and of course I got thrown up on again. It was all over me and her, but it did help since she went back into a more peaceful sleep right away.

It took us until around 3 that afternoon to get Katy home. Of course she didn't want anything at all. We had to take her to the doctor yesterday to get some pain meds in her and she really did feel better after that. Last night was long for all of us since of course she didn't want to take her meds at all! Heck the girl even fell asleep with the meds in her hand. I even have the proof.


This morning around 6 I had finally had enough of Katy being in pain. It was not pretty to try and get some medicine in her, but we did. It was then while I was talking to her that she started taking a few bites of a green popsicle. She probably ate a good quarter of it and even took a few sips of water. The both of us went back to bed until 9:30. Katy woke up and wanted water and even went potty! I was excited for her. She has now been nibbling on a few more popsicles and drinking her water! She just asked for her dad to make her some scrambled eggs! I hope this is a start of something good!

Sorry....no pictures today. Katy doesn't want anyone to see her today. I will try to have a few more updates later.

No comments: