Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Nutmeg Smith

Nutmeg Smith
15 March 2002 - 16 February 2011
The Best Fur Baby in the Whole World
Today we said good-bye to our oldest baby in our family. Nutmeg came into our family when it was just Steve and I. I brought her home and she fit in my hand. Only 15 ounces worth of love on the first Mother's Day that I should have had my baby Ben. Through all of our moves across the country a few times and adding three more kids to the family, Nutmeg was there.

A few months ago Nutmeg did something that she ended up breaking her tail. I didn't like it and she was in a lot of pain. Eventually we made the choice to help her out to take her tail off, but her bladder was not going to be the same. After a few months of bladder infections and medicines not working, Steve and I came to the understanding that we had to let our fur baby go.

Today we said good-bye to our Nutters. The kids were not too happy but they know that she is in a better place. A conversation with Katy this afternoon went like this.
Mom: Katy are you sad?
Katy: Nope. I am happy.
Mom: Do you miss Nutmeg?
Katy: Yes. Mom, Where is Nutmeg? Heaven.
Mom: Heaven you say huh?
Katy: Yep, she is with baby Ben now Mom. I am happy.

Oh how I wish that we all could have the simpleness of a child. The simple plan of happiness is so easy for them. I am trying to be happy because my children are happy. Trust me there were lots of tears today when we buried our Nutmeg right beside baby Ben. The girls each got a turn to say good-bye to the cat who welcomed each of them home over the years.

Tonight I will miss my bed buddy. This will be the first night in almost NINE years that I have not had her sleep at my feet. My cat who got me through the loss of my son. Welcomed me home every time I stepped in the door. Who loved me no matter what I did. Nutmeg was always there to curl up right beside me if I needed some love or was feeling sad. I know there is a special place in heaven for this loved cat of ours. I sure hope that tonight she is having fun in heaven getting to know my son and having fun with having her tail back.

I will forever miss you Nutmeg. I don't think that there will ever be another cat like you. Until we meet again. I love you Nutters.

Here are a few pictures of Nutmeg when she was a baby!

Steve would get so annoyed because if he ever went to the bathroom Nutmeg would instantly go lay down and not let him get up. It was always a good laugh :-)
One last picture with my baby Nutmeg.
We will all miss you Nutmeg.

3 comments:

Emily said...

OMG...the one with her in Steve's pants is priceless! I love her cause she was there for you when I couldn't be! I will always be grateful to her for that!

Brimhalls said...

So sorry to hear it! I remember Nutmeg from way back when. I hope you guys will be ok. I'm glad she's not in any more pain.

Melissa said...

So sorry Alicia! I know how much that cat must've meant to you since she was there through your hardest days. I loved what Katy said. So sweet!