Monday, February 28, 2011

Making dinners...on the kitchen floor

So here I am again making a dinner early in the afternoon, since my early evening hours are spent at the gym on Monday nights. I do this because Steve is so nice to take all the girls every Tuesday and Thursday to the gym and keep them there for 3 HOURS while I am in class. Hannah has 2 ours of practice three nights a week now and the little girls go the last hour on their two nights. Steve is this awesome super dad who entertains the kids while Hannah is at practice and then turns around to do homework and reading with Hannah while the little girls are at practice.

Getting back to the point of making a dinner on Monday night. I just get these wild ideas for what I am making for dinner. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't, but I have found that if I get the little girls to help me make dinner they are more likely to eat it in a few more hours. I am trying to do good and make dinners at home more often. Not that I stopped but you know what I mean. Using what I have at home makes for some interesting things some nights.

Dinner....Alicia....You are telling them about making dinner. Get to the point. Sorry for the diversions and digressions. I found myself thinking today as I am sitting on my kitchen floor with the little girls today, "Wow! We are sitting on the floor making dinner." My floor isn't so clean right now, but here we sit making a creation. All three of us together not aruging, but just sitting there talking. I am teaching the girls how to cook and I am finding out about their day. They loved the fact that I didn't want to go get some shredded mozzerella cheese today, so what did we do?? We took 6 string cheeses (that will be missed from lunches this week) and shredded them up. Who cares about the size right? We just needed it in the cheese mix for stuffed shells. They had a blast! I had a blast! and we all were working together.

Now that I sit back and think about it, we have made many dinners there on my not so clean kitchen floor. I guess it is one of those moments that I realize that I am not going to have little preschoolers sitting on the floor with me making dinners for not much longer. They are both looking so big and how did my babies get to almost being 8, 5 and FOUR?!?!? Today was one of those ah-ha moments for me that I wanna remember. I would have never thought in a million years that we would be sitting around doing dinner on the floor no less.

We even got a lesson on making extra today too. We had some extra cheese and shells left, so we made an extra 13 stuffed shells. Katy and Ruby loved to patiently wait to get one made shell in their bowl. After we had made all that we could, then we got out the freezer bag and had our meal ready to go. We got dinner and a spare today. 13 shells is enough with some homemade sauce to feed us all. We will for sure have to add the bread and veggies and maybe even a salad for the two salad lovers in the family, but it is one less meal to be made on a busy night.

The little things and enjoying the moment! That's what it is all about :-)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Great post Alicia. It's nice that you let your children help you cook dinner. You're such a cooler mom than I am! I don't think I would have the patience for that but you're right it is a good bonding moment.