Ben was taken to the NICU at 12:25 am. Only 25 minutes after he was born into this world. Time seemed to slow down for me once my baby was gone. I so wanted to cry and ask why and spend time alone with my husband, but the stupid nurse that kept saying "You go girl" would not leave. The minutes just passed so slow and no one had heard anything as they went by. We told our parents to go home after a little while because we both had the feeling that the next morning and day would be long. They needed their rest even though us parents would not be getting any sleep that night.
I think it was around 4 am when we finally heard something. I was given a crash course on the heart. I knew that I should have taken anatomy in high school or college. It was the whole course in a matter of a few minutes of how a newborn's heart should be and what was wrong with my baby. In lame mans terms, Benjamin's heart could get blood into it but could not get it back out to his little body. With him being intabated at this point we were buying time. We were told that the doctor at UAB that would normally do the procedure was on vacation and the other doctor on-call did not feel comfortable doing the procedure that would save his life. We were left with the decision of where to send our son. They gave us 3 choices in the early hours of Sept. 21st. We could send him to Atlanta, Nashville, or up to Boston. (If I knew what we do now, Ben and both of us would have been on a flight to Philadelphia for the doctor who created the procedure that Ben needed.) We chose Atlanta only because it was the closest choice. Then the wheels started turning to get our baby to Atlanta.
Now we all have to take a moment and remember what life was like after September 11th. The whole country was in a state of shock and mourning. There were no flights or anyone allowed in the air. It took countless phone calls and okays from hospitals, airports, and the FAA to have my son on a private life flight jet from Birmingham to Atlanta. I am so greatful for all those people who allowed my son to get the best shot for life.
By this time we had called our Bishop to tell him the news. He quickly came with the first counselor up to the hospital to see us and to see Ben. We talked for a few minutes and then went to the NICU to say good-bye to Benjamin. He was getting ready for his flight to save his life. I remember looking at this little baby who was hooked up to all those tubes and feeling so much love for "MY Little Man." Steve knew that he couldn't get through a blessing for Ben, so our Bishop gave him one. I don't remember what was said because I could not hear with all the machines. Before I knew it they were transporting Ben out of the NICU to a waiting ambulance. I so did not want him to go, but that's what we had to do as parents. I so wanted to go and was screaming inside to myself that he should not be going alone. He needs his Mom to be there with him!!!
So by 5 am my baby was gone. In the care of all the transport teams that would take him to Sibley Heart Center in Atlanta.
I don't remember if we had gotten any sleep before we got the call that Benjamin had made it to Atlanta or not. The time has blurred together and the details are fuzzy. I guess my mind went into protection mode by this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment